Get Your NJ Permit to Carry / CCW - Process & Requirements
The process and requirements to get a "Permit to Carry" a Handgun in NJ
Date: April 1, 2023
The U. S. Supreme Court struck down the "justifiable need" requirement that made it difficult to obtain a permit to carry a handgun outside the home in New Jersey. On June 24, 2022 the New Jersey Attorney General issued a directive clarifying the NEW requirements for carrying firearms in public. Read the full AG Directive here: https://www.njoag.gov/acting-ag-platkin-issues-directive-clarifying-requirements-for-carrying-firearms-in-public-in-wake-of-supreme-courts-decision
Below are the instructions from the New Jersey State Police website for applying for a permit to carry a handgun as of April 1, 2023. Please be advised that the NJSP may change these requirements. Be sure to check the NJSP website for updates. We are not responsible for State law changes.
I recommend doing the following from a computer. You will need Adobe Reader to complete these forms. You can get it free. Click here: Adobe Reader
Basic steps required to obtain a NJ CCW permit:
1. REQUIRED - New Jersey Firearms ID Card (NJ FID). If you don't have one, click this link to start the process. (Click here to get Firearms ID Card)
2. REQUIRED - Handgun Ownership. You must submit a purchase receipt, permit to purchase or a notarized letter of ownership listing the make model and serial number of the handgun(s). If you have an FID card but don't own a Pistol / Handgun (Click here to get Pistol Permit)
3. REQUIRED - Fingerprinting. All applicants must be fingerprinted for initial and renewal applications. Applicants can visit www.IDENTOGO.com to schedule an appointment. Fingerprint results must be received within ninety (90) days of application. Please contact your local police department for your personalized identification number.
4. REQUIRED - Handgun Familiarity. The applicant must demonstrate “that he is thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns,” in accordance with N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(b). We recommend you take the NRA Basic 50 State CCW course. (Click here for our full course description) and/ or read the following article: NRA Launches 50-State NRA CCW Course
5. REQUIRED - Read Application Instructions. Click here for the "Permit to Carry Instructions."
6. REQUIRED - Complete the Application. Click here to download the "Permit to Carry Application."
7. REQUIRED - Complete the Mental Health Check Form. Click here to download the "Consent for Mental Health Check."
NRA Basic 50-State CCW Course - Shooting Qualification Course of Fire
Qualification is a 50-round course of fire. There are 100 points available. Students must score 80% to pass the course.
Students receive 2 attempts to qualify,
Students will shoot one on one with your instructor using the standard USPSA or IDPA target. (See Below)
1. One handed qual @ 3yds / 10ft. 10 rds. 2 magazines
2. 2 handed qual @ 5yds / 15ft. 10 rds, 2 magazines
3. 5 Shot, Bill-Drill qual @7yd / 21ft, 10 rds, 2 magazines
4. Reload qual @7yds / 21ft, 15 rds, 3 magazines
5. Distance qual @ 15 yds / 45 ft, 5 rds, 1 magazine
* If the shooter scores a hit in the Green Zone as outlined above the student will not receive a penalty.
* A shot that strikes the Red Zone of the target as outlined above 1 point will be deducted.
* If the bullet strikes the border between the Green and the Red Zone, it will be counted as a Green Zone hit.
* A complete miss will require another attempt at qualifying. A student has 3 attempts total to qualify.
* If a student fails to scan and assess they will be penalized 2 points per incident.
* Students will be allowed to re-shoot a drill if and only if they have an ammunition induced malfunction such as a fat round or a strike on the primer without the round going off.
* If a student has a non-ammunition related malfunction, causing a shot not to be fired, each shot not taken will result in a 2-point penalty.
* A 2-point Procedure penalty will be imposed for any other error by the student. (ie. Not loading the prescribed rounds into the loading device)
What to bring for the Qualification Course of Fire:
* Pistol(s) you wish to qualify with
* Holster Required - OWB (Outside the Waistband) only. No drop, Inside the Waistband, Shoulder, Ankle, or Cross Draw Holster allowed.
* 200 rounds of factory loaded ammunition
* At least 3 magazines for a semi auto or 3 speed loaders for a revolver.
* Minimum of 2 Mag Pouches
* Eyes and Ears Protection
CLICK HERE TO SEE CLASS SCHEDULE & RESERVE YOUR SEAT.
Please consult an Attorney for all of your legal questions. Elite Noire is not providing, nor will it ever provide legal advice.
So we can send you updates and critical alerts regarding Training, Events, Education and 2A News.